Skip to content
St Margaret's Village History
Thousands of historic images & stories from a Kent village
You are here:
A bedroom in Morley House. postmark 1906
A postcard with postmark 29 November 1906 showing a bedroom in Morley House. The message on reverse is to a Mrs Neville in Bishops Stortford from her son Leonard.
Album of St Margaret's photographs by JJ Bettridge. c1890
A series of 16 photos from the album by JJ Bettridge who was Parish Clerk for many years. Kindly loaned for scanning by Mr K Hadman 01) Front cover 02) View from Ness Point looking NE across the ...
Description of Morley House.1889
Typed extract from St Margaret's Directory 1889 describing Morley House (later Portal House). its location, its purpose as a Convalescent Home, contact details and conditions of admission. It includes a list of officers - ...
Drawing of the village of St Margaret's at Cliffe, 1840
An 1840's drawing of the village of St Margaret's at Cliffe showing the position of Portal House, then a Boarding School for Girls called Marine House.
Extract from 'The Depositor', magazine of the National Deposit Friendly Society, covering the opening of the newly acquired Portal House 19 St Margaret's, 1920
An extract from "The Depositor", the magazine of the National Deposit Friendly Society, covering the opening of the recently acquired Portal House on the 16 July 1920. There is also a list of regulations drawn ...
Extracts from census records, 1841 to 1891 for Portal House
Typed pages listing occupants of Marine House, Morley House (now known as Portal House) at time of censuses 1841 to 1891.
Morley Home, St. Margaret's
This unposted black and white postcard is of Morley Home, usually known as Morley House. The publisher is shown as Elite Pictorial Postcard Machine; there is no reference number or date. Morley House was so ...
Morley House celebrations 13 July 1888
Photocopy of a press cutting from the Dover Express of 13 July 1888 regarding an excursion to Morley House by subscribers and friends to visit the premises. Details are given of the entertainment and ...
Morley House Convalescent Home Re-opening Fund - Dover Express, 13 August 1902
A handwritten transcript of an article appearing in the Dover Express dated 13 August 1909, entitled 'Morley House Convalescent Home Re-opening Fund'. Contains information about the amount of money to be raised and includes a ...
Morley House Convalescent Home, St Margaret's
Undated photograph of Morley House Convalescent , St Margaret's showing part of the façade of the building and some of its garden.
Morley House frontage. c1896
A photograph of the front of Morley House, speculatively post 1896 This is the earliest known photograph of the building which was extensively altered externally later. It gives a flavour of its original use as a ...
Morley House new wing foundation stone 19 October 1891
A photograph showing the foundation stone to the new wing at Morley House, which was laid by Arnold Morley Esq. MP, on 19 October 1891.
Morley House, St. Margaret's Bay. c1910
This sepia postcard, number 6779 in the 'Wyndham' Series, is of Portal House in the village of St. Margaret's-at-Cliffe (not St. Margaret's Bay as titled). Unused, it is thought to date circa 1910.
Morley House, St. Margaret's Bay. postmarked 1905
This black and white postcard shows the front view of Morley House ( now Portal House) and is numbered 6779 in the 'Wyndham' Series. It bears double postmarks, both on 27 April 1905, respectively St. ...
Photocopy of a letter from W. Wood, Secretary of Morley House, St Margaret's to Messrs. G H Denne & Son. 3 July 1902
Photocopy of a letter dated 3 July 1902 from W Wood, Secretary of Morley House to Messrs G H Denne & Son. This is in response to a request for payment and the letter ...
Photocopy of a photograph of Morley House. Early 20th century [?]
Undated photocopy of a photograph of Morley House Convalescent Home, St Margaret's showing part of the façade of the building and some of its garden. Early 20th century [?]
Portal House - early 20th century
Photocopy of photograph of Morley House, taken in early 20th century. Handwritten note on copy reads 'Opened by S Morley, 30 June 1883'. This refers to the original, un-extended building opened as ...
Portal House pre-1940
An unused postcard featuring "Portal House - The National Deposit Friendly Society's Convalescent Home at St Margaret's Bay" (Undated) The building was taken over by the military in WW2.
Queen Victoria Wing at Morley House to be opened May 1898
Typed transcript of an article from Dover Express dated 8 April 1898 with information about the Queen Victoria wing added to the Morley House Convalescent Home for Working Men in St Margaret's. A preliminary visit ...
Report on the opening of Portal House. Dover Express 23 July 1920
A press cutting from the Dover Express about the opening of Portal House. 23 July 1920
Schedule of deeds and documents relating to Morley House later Portal House. 1792 to 1919
Photocopy of a typed schedule of deeds and documents relating to Morley House covering the period 1792 - 1919, showing names of the purchasers.
Sketch plans of Morley House dated 1919
Photocopied sketch plans of the floor layouts of ground, first and second floors at Morley House dated 1919. They include a recreation room, a number of bedrooms and bathrooms.
St Margaret's Church and Morley House from Sea Street. c1900
A black and white postcard of Sea Street leading into the village of St Margaret's at Cliffe as seen from the top of Bay Hill. Just left of centre the Baptist Chapel can be seen, ...
St Margaret's Church from the south with a message from a Morley House resident on reverse. postmark 1905
Photocopy of a postcard showing St Margaret's Church with a message from 'Will', a resident at Morley House on the reverse. The postmark appears to be 8 April 1905.
This site has been generously sponsored by:
Kent County Council
St Margaret’s at Cliffe Parish Council
The Cook Family
Many individual donations from supporters of the Society