Skip to content
St Margaret's Village History
Thousands of historic images & stories from a Kent village
You are here:
'Smugglers lights at St Margaret's Bay', an account by local fisherman Jim Atkins
Extract which reveals how shielded lamps were used to warn and guide smugglers out at sea as they approached their intended landing place to discharge their smuggled goods. Jim Atkins was one of a long line ...
'The Calendar of Treasury Papers 1735 to 1738' and further entries up to 1740 re smuggling in St Margaret's
A typed copy of 'The Calendar of Treasury Papers 1735 - 1738' plus further entries up to 1740. There is a copy of a Treasury Warrant to prevent smuggling in Kent and details the work ...
Extract from "The Adventures of John Wetherall an authoritative diary of a 19th century British Seaman a native of Whitby"
A typed extract from " The Adventures of John Wetherall, an authoritative diary of a 19th century British Seaman, a native of Whitby". It concerns the travels of Edward Bonney, who had been imprisoned in France, ...
Inadequancy in patrolling The Downs in 1784
Short details from the book 'Smugglers, Broadstairs' by W H Lapthorne which concerns 5 named Revenue Cutters and their inadequacy in patrolling The Downs in 1784.
Information about a local smuggler by Malcolm Shepherd. 2011
This shows the cover only of the March 2011 copy of The Journal of Kent History. It contains an article by Malcolm Shepherd entitled 'St Margaret's, a tale of a lost smuggler?' Someone in Australia had ...
Map showing Coastguard Station in St Margaret's Bay. 1861
A photocopied OS 1st edition map of St Margaret's showing the Coastguard Station on the beach and The Spit. There was also a coastguard station at Cornhill, on the cliffs.
Wingham Petty Sessions Book with entries from 1705 to 1748, with reference to smuggling at St Margaret's.
A typed copy of 'Wingham Petty Sessions Book - the Sessions being held at The Red Lion Inn, Wingham'. The entries are from 1705 - 1748 and refer to smuggling in St Margaret's.
This site has been generously sponsored by:
Kent County Council
St Margaret’s at Cliffe Parish Council
The Cook Family
Many individual donations from supporters of the Society