Skip to content
St Margaret's Village History
Thousands of historic images & stories from a Kent village
You are here:
South Foreland Lighthouses
South Foreland Lighthouses
'Doomwatch' television programme filmed at the South Foreland Lighthouse. c.1970
'Doomwatch' was a British science fiction television programme produced by the BBC, which ran on BBC1 between 1970 and 1972. The series was set in the then present-day, and dealt with a Scientific Government Agency ...
Beacon to be placed between Upper and Lower Lighthouses while roof repairs undertaken. 1698
Copy of a sketch featuring a proposed beacon to be hoisted on a 20 feet high pole between the Upper and Lower South Foreland Lighthouses while the roof of the Upper Light was undergoing repairs ...
Boats on St Margaret's Bay beach. Undated but probably 1880/90
Black and white photograph taken towards the south western end of St Margaret's Bay foreshore. Foreground shows boats on the shingle beach whilst in the upper right can be seen The Hermitage (now South Sands House). Along ...
Demolition of 540 Coast Regiment HQs near South Foreland Lighthouse. 27 November 1985
This series of photographs taken on 27 November 1985 showing the old headquarters of the 540 Coast Regiment, which was sited behind the Lighthouse during WW 2, being demolished.
List of Lighthouse keepers and engineers at the South Foreland Lighthouse. 1841-1891
A typed list of lighthouse keepers and engineers taken from the 1841,1851,1861,1871,1881 and 1891 census returns. Prepared by Ruth Nicol
Lower South Foreland Lighthouse. sent to Mr Newman. picture dated 1898, postmark 1907.
A postcard from the Frith Series No 40814 date 1898 and shows a view of the Lower South Foreland Lighthouse. It is addressed to Mr Newman of Ponders End, Middlesex and was posted in 1907
Lower South Foreland Lighthouse. sent to S Newman. postmark 23 April 1908
A postcard showing the driveway down to the Lower South Foreland Lighthouse, postmarked 23 April 1908 and addressed to Master Stuart Newman
Lower South Foreland Lighthouses power station and testing gallery. 1922
Detail from a 1922 sale catalogue for the auction of the South Foreland lighthouse's power station, Lower Lighthouse's keeper's cottages and testing gallery. Upper Lighthouse in the distance.
Marconi's Rotating Beam Transmitter at South Foreland Lighthouse. c1930
Postcard of the South Foreland Lighthouse showing Marconi's Rotating Beam transmitter and hut installed in 1923 and dismantled in 1932. The transmitter projected a horizontal ray of very short wireless waves which swept around the horizon ...
Notes on the history of South Sands House and Area
Notes of the history of St. Margaret's Bay, with reference to South Sands House and its former name The Hermitage, from 1086. The role of monks in keeping lights burning to guide mariners is covered.
Plan of Upper and Lower South Foreland Lighthouses, power station and cottages. 1922
Plan of the two South Foreland lighthouses, power station and cottages included in the sale particulars of the 1922 sale by Trinity House of the power station, four Keepers' cottages and five acres of adjacent ...
Receipt for duty paid by a ship for maintenance of the North and South Foreland Lighthouses. 1745
Photocopy of a handdrawn copy of receipt published in VCH Vol.II (1926). Receipt dated 22 December 1745 which reads 'received here at Lond [on] of Thomas George, master of the good ship called Memland of the ...
Round Britain Air Race viewed from South Foreland Lighthouse. 1910/11
Black and white photograph of a group of people standing at the top of the South Foreland Upper Light. The notes included with the photo state: "1st £1000 Daily Mail Race round England Early in the morning Mother, Dad, ...
South Foreland Lighthouse
A black and white postcard of the South Foreland Lower Lighthouse and Keepers' cottages Postcard by Tuck, reference number SMB 35 The Old Lighthouse St Margaret's Bay
South Foreland Lighthouse from the entrance gate
A black and white postcard of the South Foreland Lighthouse published by Shoesmith and Etheridge Ltd. of Hastings, numbered 8438 in their Norman Series. It is unused.
South Foreland Lighthouse. c1900
Photocopy from a book of an A4 photograph of the South Foreland Upper Lighthouse c 1900
South Foreland Lighthouse. postmarked 1910
This faded sepia postcard carries little information other than the brief title. The subject is the 'out of service' Lower Lighthouse and attached dwelling. Postmarked 10.0am 29 March 1910.
South Foreland Lighthouses and windmill. c.1936-40
A description of the lighthouse buildings and the windmill at St Margaret's Bay by an unknown author who, between 1936 and 1940, worked for Sir William Beardsell, who built the St Margaret's windmill.
St Margaret's Bay from The Leas. c1899
A photograph taken from The Leas looking westwards across The Bay towards the lighthouse. It was taken c1889 and the three experimental lights, using different types of fuel, can be seen on the horizon.
The 540 Coast Siege Regiment headquarters buildings behind the South Foreland Lighthouse in WWII
A photograph showing the buildings which formed the headquarters of The 540 Coast Regiment behind the South Foreland Lighthouse at St Margaret's at Cliffe.
The three experimental Lighthouses at South Foreland, c.1884/5
From the Gordon Denoon album a photograph depicting three experimental lighthouses marked 'A', 'B' and 'C' on the South Foreland. The South Foreland lighthouse is in the background. The experimental lighthouses were erected by Trinity House ...
This site has been generously sponsored by:
Kent County Council
St Margaret’s at Cliffe Parish Council
The Cook Family
Many individual donations from supporters of the Society