Skip to content
St Margaret's Village History
Thousands of historic images & stories from a Kent village
You are here:
South Sands House
South Sands House
Aerial view of South Sands House before surrounding housing development
An early black and white photograph of South Sands House, formerly The Hermitage, taken from a higher vantage point on the cliffs. The names of other houses have been added on the backing.
Auctioneers report on the sales of the Hermitage Estate in St Margaret's Bay. 1919
A typewritten copy of details from the Dover Express dated 25th July 1919 of the sale of the estate of Lady Margaret Cecil who lived in The Hermitage now South Sands House. It includes the ...
Boats on St Margaret's Bay beach. Undated but probably 1880/90
Black and white photograph taken towards the south western end of St Margaret's Bay foreshore. Foreground shows boats on the shingle beach whilst in the upper right can be seen The Hermitage (now South Sands House). Along ...
Clarence Hatry of The Hermitage and his finances, from 'Statesmen, Financiers and Felons'
Photocopied extract of chapter 12, from 'Statesmen, Financiers and Felons' by the Marquis of Winchester, published in 1935. The marquis was involved in business with Clarence Hatry, a one time resident of The Hermitage Bay ...
Concern over the state of the footpath below The Hermitage, Bay Hill. 1955
A typed extract from the Dover Express reporting that the Ratepayers and Residents Association at a meeting were concerned at the state of a footpath near The Hermitage now South Sands House. 1955
From Ness Point to Granville Road
A postcard from the Frith's Series showing a view looking north across the valley towards the Coastguard Station with its flagpole at top left, properties along The Droveway and Granville Road, and The Hermitage (now ...
From Ness Point to Granville Road. c1880
A photograph taken from The Ness over The Hermitage (now South Sands House) looking towards the top of Bay Hill and Granville Road, dated 1880 - 1890.
Identified houses in the St Margaret's Bay area
An annotated black and white photograph of houses built on the cliffs above St. Margaret's Bay and taken sometime between 1904 and 1933. Granville Road is in the upper part of the print. Houses named are Glendower South ...
Letter from Gordon Denoon to Fred Cleary re Lord Ponsonby, Lady Margaret Cecil and 'The Hermitage'
A letter from D G Denoon to Fred Cleary giving his knowledge of two residents of 'The Hermitage' (subsequently 'South Sands House') with information about Lord Ponsonby and Lady Margaret Cecil.
Notes on the history of South Sands House and Area
Notes of the history of St. Margaret's Bay, with reference to South Sands House and its former name The Hermitage, from 1086. The role of monks in keeping lights burning to guide mariners is covered.
People associated with South Sands House and views of the house
Views of South Sands House, previously The Hermitage, and some of its residents. In descending order they are: Portrait of Major Gorton, Sir Fred Ponsonby Lady Margaret Elizabeth Cecil South Sands House from The Old Guardhouse The Museum and ...
South Sands House, two views
Taken from the Gordon Denoon album two views of South Sands House, formerly The Hermitage
St Margaret's Bay from Ness Point. c1887
A black and white photograph showing houses above the Bay with South Foreland House, Granville Road in the top right corner. A note on the reverse of the print gives a date of 1887/8. Also South ...
The Green Man at the bottom of Bay Hill.
Black and white photograph (8" x 6") of the south-western end of the Bay taken from the top of the Leas showing bottom of Bay Hill and adjacent buildings including the Green Man public house ...
The Hermitage when owned by Clarence Hatry
A press cutting from an unknown source which incorrectly implies that Clarence Hatry built The Hermitage but correctly states that he was implicated in a £29million fraud. Hatry purchased 'The Hermitage' when he was released from ...
The Hermitage, Bay Hill (later renamed South Sands House)
Various views of The Hermitage and subsequently re-named South Sands House.
WW2 Experiences at 'The Hermitage'
A letter from W G Castle to Fred Cleary in which he outlines various experiences while stationed in 'The Hermitage' (subsequently 'South Sands House') during World War 2.
This site has been generously sponsored by:
Kent County Council
St Margaret’s at Cliffe Parish Council
The Cook Family
Many individual donations from supporters of the Society