Skip to content
St Margaret's Village History
Thousands of historic images & stories from a Kent village
You are here:
Aerial view of South Sands House before surrounding housing development
An early black and white photograph of South Sands House, formerly The Hermitage, taken from a higher vantage point on the cliffs. The names of other houses have been added on the backing.
Boats on St Margaret's Bay beach. Undated but probably 1880/90
Black and white photograph taken towards the south western end of St Margaret's Bay foreshore. Foreground shows boats on the shingle beach whilst in the upper right can be seen The Hermitage (now South Sands House). Along ...
From Ness Point to Granville Road. 1898
A reproduction sepia Francis Frith postcard numbered 40806 date 1898 depicting 'The Hermitage in St Margaret's Bay, with Granville Road just beneath the skyline.
Notes on the history of South Sands House and Area
Notes of the history of St. Margaret's Bay, with reference to South Sands House and its former name The Hermitage, from 1086. The role of monks in keeping lights burning to guide mariners is covered.
People associated with South Sands House and views of the house
Views of South Sands House, previously The Hermitage, and some of its residents. In descending order they are: Portrait of Major Gorton, Sir Fred Ponsonby Lady Margaret Elizabeth Cecil South Sands House from The Old Guardhouse The Museum and ...
The Green Man at the bottom of Bay Hill.
Black and white photograph (8" x 6") of the south-western end of the Bay taken from the top of the Leas showing bottom of Bay Hill and adjacent buildings including the Green Man public house ...
The Hermitage when owned by Clarence Hatry
A press cutting from an unknown source which incorrectly implies that Clarence Hatry built The Hermitage but correctly states that he was implicated in a £29million fraud. Hatry purchased 'The Hermitage' when he was released from ...
The Hermitage, Bay Hill (later renamed South Sands House)
Various views of The Hermitage and subsequently re-named South Sands House.
WW2 Experiences at 'The Hermitage'
A letter from W G Castle to Fred Cleary in which he outlines various experiences while stationed in 'The Hermitage' (subsequently 'South Sands House') during World War 2.
This site has been generously sponsored by:
Kent County Council
St Margaret’s at Cliffe Parish Council
The Cook Family
Many individual donations from supporters of the Society