Skip to content
St Margaret's Village History
Thousands of historic images & stories from a Kent village
You are here:
'The Pilchers of Townsend Farm' by A L MacFie
Pages 2 - 4 of 'The Journal of Kent Local History' (No.7) of 7 September 1978. 'The Pilchers of Townsend Farm - a 19th century farming family of south-east Kent' by A L Macfie, from ...
1841 - 1881 census for Townsend Farm
The Townsend Farm census returns for the period 1841 to 1881 - Pilcher family and servants living in and around St. Margaret's.
Abstract of Indenture to East Valley Farm 1893
A transcription of part of an Indenture relating to East Valley Farm with associations by family names to Townsend Farm dated 26 July 1893.
Aerial photograph of Townsend Farm
An undated aerial photograph of Townsend Farm
Aerial view of buildings at the junction of Station Road and Dover Road.
A photograph showing the electricity sub-station at the junction of Station Road and Dover Road. Also shown are the old Golf Club House and Townsend Farm.
Agreement for letting Townsend Farm. 15 October 1928
This is a typed copy of an agreement between Earl Granville and G W Laslett for the letting of Townsend Farm. 15 October1928 .
Catalogue of sale by auction of items from Townsend Farm. 8/9 October 1869
Copy of a catalogue of furniture and other items for sale by auction from Townsend Farm by auctioneers Worsfold and Hayward on 8 and 9 October 1869. [Kent Archives ref. EK/U844 E34]
Chronology of events at Townsend Farm, 1858 - 1886
A typewritten chronology of events concerning Townsend Farm, transcribed from Alex MacFie's notes, covering the period 1858 to 1886. Includes lists of births, deaths and marriages of various families.
Claim for diminution of value of income from Townsend Farm and other land during WWII. 1940
(a) - (c) Claim for E P Burton for diminution of annual value of income from Townsend Farm, Street Farm and other land due to requisition for defence works in October 1940. [East Kent Archives ...
Drawing of Townsend Farm. April 1972
A drawing of Townsend Farm dated April 1972. [Possibly by John Jewell?]
From the top of Station Road looking towards the village
This is a postcard from the Frith Series and shows a view along Station Road looking towards the church with the Golf Club House middle right.
Holm Oaks, Dover Road building site at the rear of Townsend Farm. 1986
Three photographs showing an excavator at work on a building plot off Dover Road at the rear of Townsend Farm. The house subsequently built there is named Holm Oaks. 17th June 1986
Letter from the Admiralty Office agreeing on condition of Townsend Farm after acquisition during WWII. 1941
Photocopy of a letter dated [4?] April 1941 from the Admiralty Office in Bath agreeing to the condition of Townsend Farm. [Original in East Kent Archives]
Memorandum of Agreement between Mr Laslett and St Margaret's Golf Club over the use of land. 1919
This is a photocopy of a Memorandum of Agreement between Jarvis Francis Laslett of Wallet's Court and the committee of St Margaret's Golf Club regarding the lease of meadow land at Townsend Farm dated 19th ...
O.S.map Centre of St Margaret's at Cliffe. 1862 (1872 revision)
Section of Ordnance Survey map 1862 (1872 revision) showing the centre of St Margaret's at Cliffe.
Requisition condition report for Townsend Farm during WWII, 20 August 1940
Record of the condition of portions of the Farm House and premises included in the form of requisition prior to the Admiralty taking over responsibility from 20 August 1940. Taken 26 August 1940. [East Kent Archives ...
Requisition of accommodation at Townsend Farm during WWII, 1940
Transcription of a letter from the Admiralty, Bath, to Mr E P Burton, tenant farmer of Townsend Farm, enclosing a formal Notice of Requisition and forms for a claim for compensation, 1940. [Kent Archive ref. ...
Sale of a Chippendale settee from Townsend Farm. 1906
Press cutting from the Dover Express dated 13 July 1906 concerning the sale of a Chippendale settee belonging to W C Downes of Townsend Farm.
Schedule of Townsend Farm lands owned by Earl Granville, 24 June 1941
Schedule of Townsend Farm lands owned by Earl Granville as at 24 June 1941 and surveyed by Amos & Dawton, Chartered Surveyors and Valuers of Canterbury. [Original in East Kent Archives?]
Sound File: 'Arriving at Townsend Farm 1935.' Extract from an interview with Jean Datson
An interview with Jean Datson (nee Burton) about arriving as a child at Townsend Farm with her parents and sisters in 1935. The Burtons stayed on the farm until 1940 when they had to leave because ...
Specification of dilapidation of buildings at Townsend Farm. 15 November 1935
A typewritten copy of a specification of dilapidation, referring to the house, cottages and outbuildings at Townsend Farm. Prepared for G Petley & Co of Staple, 15 November 1935.
The condition of Townsend Farm in April 1941
Letter from CE in C, Admiralty, 2 Portland Place, Bath to Messrs C Petley & Co, Estate Agents, Staple, Canterbury on the condition of Townsend Farm, dated April 1941. [Typed transcript - original in East ...
The condition of Townsend Farm on 12 January 1941
Schedule of the condition of property requisitioned for Naval purposes under the Emergency Powers (Defence) Regulations 1939, dated 12 January 1941.
The Husk brothers who worked Townsend Farm. 1932-1970s
An undated article by Wally Clark in an identified local newspaper about the Husk brothers who worked Townsend Farm for a number of years beginning in 1932 and carrying on, it would appear, until the ...
This site has been generously sponsored by:
Kent County Council
St Margaret’s at Cliffe Parish Council
The Cook Family
Many individual donations from supporters of the Society