Skip to content
St Margaret's Village History
Thousands of historic images & stories from a Kent village
You are here:
Advertisement The Green Windows Hotel, Sea Street. 1973
An advertisement from the Dover Guide 1973 for the Green Windows Hotel and Restaurant, at the corner of Chapel Lane and Sea Street. Photograph shows the frontage with Sea Street.
Bay Hill from Reach Road pond
The pond in the foreground is that in Reach Road. Notice the small white hut on Sea Street. This was Henry Sproston's (The Chalet) confectioner and tobacconist. Later the hut was siad to have been used ...
Bay Hill from Reach Road pond. postmark 1905
This coloured postcard by J B Madge of St Margaret's at Cliffe is of the top of Bay Hill, with Sea Street leading up to it, from the viewpoint of the pond in the dip ...
Children from St Margaret's School marching to the Coastguard Station Bay Hill to celebrate Empire Day. 1909
Note the proliferation of telegraph poles. These carried telegraph wires up from the beach where the undersea cable came ashore, either from France or Belgium. A large building at the top of Bay Hill (The Repeater ...
Converting The Lodge, Sea Street into a private dwelling. 2015
Four photocopies of photographs taken externally, showing alterations in progress to The Lodge, which stands at the corner of Sea Street and Chapel Lane. Converting it into a private dwelling from its previous use as ...
Elms Cottage, Sea Street, garden restoration. 1984
Series of photographs taken from the garden of Elms Cottage in 1984. First two photographs are of the Herring Hang. The latter two photographs record the restored garden nook. Over the back wall outside and inside ...
Engraving of St Margaret's Church and Marine House from Sea Street. 1840
View is towards the village from the top of Bay Hill. and shows Curfew Cottages in the left foreground, Portal House to the right across Sea Street and the church in the background At this ...
From the top of Station Road looking towards the village. 1908
A postcard from the Frith Series 60350 date 1908 postmarked 16th July 1911 looking from a high point in the field opposite Nelson Park, along Station Road towards the church. Descriptive notes are attached.
G H Kenway & Sons building, Sea Street. 1984 and 1994
First photograph taken on 2nd March 1984 of Kenway & Sons shop front with the wall of Curfew Cottage seen to the left. Second photograph taken in 1994 with a sold sign and building works completed ...
Henry Sproston, proprietor of The Chalet, Sea Street, late 19th Century
A photograph of Henry Sproston, proprietor of a shop selling tobacco goods, confectionery and general goods at The Chalet towards the top of Sea Street. Probably taken sometime in the late 19th century as he ...
Removal of rendering from Elms Cottage, Sea Street. 1986
Sea Street and Droveway Gardens in the snow. January 1985
Sea Street: A brief history of St Margaret's Lodge
Covers the history of the Lodge, once called Cold Overton, from 1929 -1983. Written by Ruth Nicol, archivist for St Margaret's History Society.
Sea Street: Brief history of Small Downs (ex The Haven) and surrounding fields
Sea Street: Clayson's Yard on the corner of Sea Street and Reach Road. c1970s
Sea Street: Curfew Cottages. 1920
Curfew Cottages built in the 18thC. The building to the right became G H Kenways & Sons
Sea Street: from the corner of Sea Street and Reach Road.
This postcard appears was sent on 21st December but the date is unclear. Possibly 1950's Addressed to Miss K Pyper (?) at 545 George Street, Aberdeen, Scotland the message reads: Dear K The view I am send (sic) ...
Sea Street: Queen Anne's Thimble and Small Downs. 1976
Looking down Sea Street towards the village. Queen Anne's Thimble in the foreground with Small Downs adjacent.
Sea Street: Rustic Tea Rooms, later The Quality Bar Cafe, and demolition
Two advertisements for The Rustic Tea Rooms in Sea Street. The second advert is taken from a 1930-1931 Guide Book for St Margaret's published by K J Madge. The proprietor of the Tea Rooms at ...
Sea Street: Sale Brochure for Cold Overton. 1946
Four page brochure with particulars of the sale by auction of Cold Overton held at the Queens Head Hotel Dover on 29th August 1946.
Sea Street: Small Downs. c1975/6
Sea Street: The Chalet with the proprietor, Henry Sproston, standing outside
This hut was in the garden of Buena Vista in Sea Street and was right on the road just inside the front entrance. The advert for Henry Sproston's shop is dated 1892. The 1881 Census Return for ...
Sea Street: The old Kenway site before clearance. 2006
St Margaret's Church and Morley House from Sea Street. c1900
A black and white postcard of Sea Street leading into the village of St Margaret's at Cliffe as seen from the top of Bay Hill. Just left of centre the Baptist Chapel can be seen, ...
This site has been generously sponsored by:
Kent County Council
St Margaret’s at Cliffe Parish Council
The Cook Family
Many individual donations from supporters of the Society